Sunday, June 26, 2011

New Year’s Resolution 2011: I will paint an average of one pre-slotta figure per week.  

So by the end of the year I will have at least 52 newly painted, matching miniatures from the Citadel FF/FA/FS ranges.

Why?

I have been gently acquiring 25-28mm fantasy miniatures for 31 years, mostly Citadel but there are lots of others. I would not describe myself as avid or obsessed but only because I know people who are far worse than me - their collections make mine look modest, almost sensible. 

I really enjoy painting miniatures and for many years have pretended to myself that I am a painter and a gamer not a "collector". This assertion is publicly sustainable because over the last decade I have painted some very nice Warhammer armies and had the pleasure of having them appreciated (and then usually defeated) at Adepticon in Chicago. However the many trays of mismatched lead monsters and adventurers on my shelves have been much loved but untouched for years.

So I have stripped away the brightly hued Humbrol and Airfix enamels that were applied 30 years ago (often the same day that the figs were purchased) and I am starting over.


Ok  - its now June but I didn’t have a blog started or anything much to show until now

I am on track to keep my resolution (57 figures based, several finished, and many of them more than 50% done) but there is a degree of discipline required to keep on target – so I figure the extra effort of keeping up a blog as well will help.

I'll try to keep it more interesting than "this is what I just finished"

Cheers

Caius

Here, starting at the very beginning, are the first versions FA1, FA2 and FA3




3 comments:

  1. Fantastic work! I have a backlog of figures to paint - mostly Ral Partha and Grenadier - and this is inspiring me to make a start on them.

    The great thing about the pre-slotta Citadel figs is just how well they paint up, especially in comparison to contemporary manufacturers like Minifigs, Hinchcliffe, Garrison...

    Keep up the great work, and kudos for trying to paint one a week. In reality, I get through one every two weeks at best...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice job there. I am not a collector of the pre-slotta minis, but I like very much the way you've integrated them on to a slotta base. I especially like the knight. The green is a nice contrast to the armor.

    I wish you the best for your goal of painting one a week. I have about 50 Chaos Squats that are partly finished, so I know how easy it is to make a nice conversion, paint the base colors, and then start more converting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you got it figured out! Looking forward to more! Cheers,D

    ReplyDelete