Sunday, April 30, 2017

Citadel WF Range (Weird Fantasy)

This month more Citadel 25mm Pre Slottas 

I set myself a goal of painting the WF range in one month - including basing.

The only significant distraction was losing a week or so to carefully gluing several hundred rhinestones on my daughters prom dress.

 I have had many of these characterful miniatures since I could by them in baggies at the local toy store. The last few, released in the US by Ral Partha can be harder to find.







I suppose that if you are not really old, and particularly if you are also not from the UK, this range may need a few explanations.

The Aardvarks are a (presumably unlicensed) representation of the comic book character Cerebus created by Dave Sim.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebus_the_Aardvark



The General Manager WF6 and the Midland Troll WF16 are in the likeness of Bryan Ansell the manager of Citadel Miniatures (pictured below).


The Skin Golem WF7 is nicknamed Gumby after a character in the TV show Monty Python.


And finally the Dwarf with No Name:  
The Man with No Name is the protagonist portrayed by Clint Eastwood in Sergio Leone's "Dollars Trilogy" of Spaghetti Western films: A Fistful of Dollars (1964), For a Few Dollars More (1965) and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966). He is easily recognizable due to his iconic hat, poncho, fondness for cigarillos and the fact that he rarely talks.



If there are other details I've missed, I'd love top hear about them.

5 comments:

  1. I remember my local shop in the 90s had the dwarfs with no name and inferiority complex in the Ral Partha Imports blisters for years. Never particularly cared for them then, wish I had picked them up now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WF15 is an Inspired paint job. Not a range I care for too much. I have the complete adventurer (still to be painted) and would like the aerial servant. Excellent paint jobs through out. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well executed project. I really like seeing these old ranges given great paint jobs. They mostly never received halfway decent ones back in the day.

    Cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Aardvarks, great paint job, the range highlights the fun element missing in today's miniatures.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant! Big fan of the old WF series. Painted myself the Midlands troll a while back. Thanks for sharing this treasure!
    /Hans

    ReplyDelete